Total Pageviews

Saturday 1 February 2014

DAMAGE YOUR BACK WITH BAD SQUATS!!!

 
 
I culled this excerpt from an article I read
 
An all too common scene at the gym
 
A guy approaches an Olympic bar on a power rack. He slaps on a few plates on either side and proceeds to back squat. His warm-up sets don't look bad; his body stays more or less upright, he's got good depth, and the grunting is kept to a minimum. As I watch his first heavy set unfold, however, I start to think I should have my phone ready to dial 9-1-1.
 
He drops down to a half-squat with wobbly knees; he's somehow convinced that the weight on his shoulders is not 50 pounds too heavy. On his way back up, he begins to lean forward, and I start wondering if he's doing a good morning instead of a squat. Where'd that hip hinge come from? I debate what to call this new movement (Back-morning? Good-squat? Definitely not the latter!) while his back flirts with the idea of snapping clean in half.
 
One, two, three ... that's three too many seconds he's been stuck in that same position without moving. His grunts start to echo across the gym and threaten to shatter windows, break mirrors, and awaken hibernating bears. Finally, an excruciating six seconds later, he climbs his way back up to a standing position. I gasp for air as I realize I've been holding my breath the entire time. I'm curious whose heart is racing faster at this point, his or mine. Nevertheless, I'm relieved that he finishes the movement and will rack the weight soon.
 
But no. Just as I'm about to turn away and continue on with my own workout, I see in the corner of my eye that he's going down for another rep.
 
This time, I can't look.
 
 
 
A perfect Squat
  • Hold a weight against the chest. If you have a kettlebell, grab it by the horns; with a dumbbell, hold one of the heads up vertically between your palms.
  • Position your feet so your stance is a smidge outside shoulder-width, with your toes pointed slightly out. If you're taller, you may need to widen the stance a little more.
  • Drop it like it's hot. That is, sit back and down between the knees, keeping your chest up the whole time. Make sure you're not falling forward or rounding your back.
  • Go down as low as you can while keeping your feet flat on the floor. If your heels come up, your stance is still too narrow.
  • At the bottom, brush your elbows down the inside of your legs and push your knees out. This is what makes the goblet squat so special, so let me say that again: knees out, knees out, knees out.
  •  
  • Shoot back up and stand tall at the top.
  •  

    No comments:

    Post a Comment